Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Train's Call

“The whistle of the train sounded in my ears,
He was leaving, and this time for good.
For so long I had pushed out of my mind, those fears,
Knowing that if he could stay he would.
The rumble of the train shook my still form,
As he held me close with tears in his eyes.
My hand caressed that beautiful uniform,
As from the wooden bench we did rise.
Steam rose from beneath the slowing train,
While the screech of the wheels came to an end.
Nature around us seemed not to understand my pain,
Nor how my heart in my chest cried out with its rend.
Oh God, bring him back from that war so dark,
Bring him back to me when you’re done.
But for now to your comforting words I will hark,
And this race on earth I will run.
These words I pray as on my knees I fall,
While I wait by the window inside,
Remembering the words of the conductor’s call,
And my beloved’s arms held out wide.
But in God’s timing he will return to me,
Though he may fight the war and die,
My heart is ever lifted to thee,
Knowing we will meet in your heaven in the sky.”
----Anna Michael

2 comments:

Puritan Dilemma said...

Oh yes! VERY nice!

Joshua James said...

You translate me to another place, you paint in vivid colours the place and its atmosphere. Never before did I understand how a train's whistle could sound as though it was calling for your soul, yet reading this without even hearing it, I felt it.
One of your best pieces yet!